Surrey, June 27-28, 2019
The 5th meeting will take place at the University of Surrey on June 27-28, 2019. Below you will find the Programme. We will upload copies of the presentations as we receive them.
Urban Fluid Mechanics Special Interest Group Meeting
(June 27-28 2019, University of Surrey)
Thursday June 27, 2019 [Treetops – Wates House]
09.30 – 9.55 Coffee and registration
09.55 – 10.00 Welcome [Alan Robins]
10.00 – 11.00 Lionel Soulhac, LMFA – University of Lyon. Chair: Omduth Coceal
11.00 – 12.20 Invited talks [15 + 5 minutes]. Chair: Tim Foat.
Vincenzo Sessa, University of Southampton + AECOM. Modelling turbulence and dispersion over a step change of building height in neutral and non-neutral stratification
Birgit Sutzl, Imperial College London. Mean flow and momentum transport in idealised heterogeneous urban canopies
Denise Hertwig, University of Reading. Effects of tall buildings on urban flow and dispersion
Fred Mendonca & Kuti Bercin, ESI. Official OpenFOAM releases and applications on HPC for Environmental Flows
12.20 – 14.00 Lunch [Cedar– Wates House]
14.00 – 14.45 Three-minute presentations. Chair: Gabriel Rooney
· Vladimir Fuka, Charles University, Czech. Application of grid nesting in the ELMM LES model.
· Jian Zhong, University of Birmingham. Implementation of a synthetic inflow turbulence generator in idealised WRF v3.6.1 Large-Eddy simulations under neutral atmospheric conditions.
· William Morrison, University of Reading. Ground-based thermography for urban climate study.
· Tom Grylls, Imperial College London. uDALES: towards an integrated large-eddy simulation model for the urban climate.
· Jiyun Song, University of Cambridge. Passive cooling: towards low-energy office buildings via natural ventilation
· Matt Coburn, University of Southampton. Approaching city scale flows using LES – An Urban Aerodynamics Case Study
· Omduth Coceal, University of Reading. Neighbourhood-scale urban dispersion modelling.
14.45 – 15.30 Coffee + posters (Cedar and Wates room - Wates House)
15.30 – 17.30 Group discussion on the future of the Urban Fluids Mech SIG [Maarten van Reeuwijk, Janet Barlow, Zheng-Tong Xie].
17.30 – 18.30 Reception
18.30 – Dinner [Cedar- Wates House]
Friday June 28, 2019 [Treetops – Wates House]
09.30 – 10.30 Sue Grimmond, University of Reading. Chair: Alan Robins
10.30 – 11.00 Coffee (Cedar– Wates House)
11.00 – 12.20 Invited talks [15 + 5 minutes]. Chair: Zheng-Tong Xie
William Lin, University of Birmingham. A tale of two scales
Punit Nayyar, iconCFD. Application of iconCFD on Urban Flow Environments - Hugo Boss Retail Store Study
Fanxing Fang, Imperial College London. Reduced order modelling, machine learning and data assimilation applied to modelling of air pollution and urban flows
Humphrey Lean, Met Office UK. High resolution simulation of London with the Unified Model
12.20 – 12.55 Update on Urban Fluids project proposals [various contributors].
12.55 – 13.00 Close [Zheng-Tong Xie]
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch